After reading this article, you will be prepared for how to unclog toilet when nothing works. We have compiled the most effective methods for unclogging the toilet. Not always you will need special tools or a plumbing cable to solve a problem. In the simplest situations, you can use the most common tools at hand.
What Can Cause Blockage?
Many reasons can provoke a blockage in the toilet: from the initially incorrect installation of plumbing by builders to operating errors by residents.
Let’s look at the main factors that can affect the appearance of blockage in the pipe:
- improperly selected sewers for your apartment wiring can cause poor water outflow, which will lead to clogging in the future
- a similar situation occurs with the wrong choice of the angle of inclination of the drain pipe, in which case you have to dismantle the plumbing and change the angle
- sometimes floor rags and other textiles accidentally fall into the toilet, which leads to a dense cork inside
- we are all used to flushing the remains of missing food, conservation, cat litter into the toilet
- the consequences of the repair: dust, cement residues and building chips become fatal to your toilet
- seemingly simple toilet paper in large quantities can also cause clogging
All this accumulates inside the pipe and leads to gradual clogging of plumbing. We figured out the reasons, but how to clean the toilet? What to do with blockage?
We Start With Pumping Water
First of all, you need to pump out the water from the clogged toilet so that you can start cleaning. If your toilet is completely clogged, water can no longer flow down the drain. Therefore, it is necessary to pump out water from the toilet bowl itself. To do this, you can use an empty plastic bottle or similar container that can be pressurized by squeezing. The mechanics are simple: you need to squeeze and unclench the bottle, creating pressure to pump out the water. This technique will help you quickly and efficiently remove water from the bowl and even the siphon.
How To Locate A Blockage
To begin work on removing blockage – you need to understand exactly where the blockage is located. There are a few simple rules to help you determine.
- If there are no problems with draining water in the bathroom and washbasin, your problem is localized in the toilet.
- When a blockage appears in the common house pipe, stagnation of water is observed in the bathroom.
- Assuming that your toilet is spewing out everything that the tenants living on the floor drain, you are faced with a blockage in the riser of the house. This problem cannot be fixed on your own. Call plumbers for help.
How To Unclog Toilet When Nothing Works: Mechanical Cleaning
Let’s first look at those options when you have the necessary tools at home. The easiest and most effective way is to unclog toilet when nothing works with a plumbing cable or plunger. These devices are effective and belong to the mechanical types of blockage removal.
If you have a plumbing cable at home, you can easily eliminate a simple blockage within the apartment wiring. To work with wire rope, you need to make sure that this type is suitable for the diameter of your pipes. Then check the cable length. Most often, cables of 3-4 m are optimal for solving this problem.
Dip the working side of the cable into the toilet, fluffing the end in the shape of a brush for greater efficiency. Gradually push the cable inside the toilet, turning it clockwise. Once you reach the blockage, speed up the rotations and apply a little more force. You will be able to push the clog up to the general drain. To consolidate success, flush the toilet with hot water.
Cleaning The Toilet With A Plunger
Most often, it is the plunger that is the most common item for cleaning plumbing in the house. The principle of operation is quite simple, you just need to close the toilet drain hole using the rubber part of the plunger. Next, we produce rhythmic pushes of the plunger handle. If the blockage or plug is not too serious, this method will be enough.
What Else Can Serve As A Plunger?
What to do if there is simply no plunger in the house? You can quickly and easily rid your own toilet of clogs with:
- plastic bottle
- sanitary or food film
- duct tape
How To Unclog Toilet With A Bottle When Nothing Works
To clear blockages with a bottle, take any plastic bottle. Cut off the bottom of the bottle and screw the cap on the other side tightly. We place the bottle in the toilet bowl and begin to perform the same actions as with the plunger.
Read Also: How To Unclog Toilet: Follow 5 Simple Steps
How To Unclog Toilet With Cling Film
There is also a special sanitary film, the principle of operation of which is similar to a plunger. To do this, you need to stretch the film around the entire perimeter of the toilet seat to form a tightly stretched surface. After that, you need to start pressing and releasing the film to break through the blockage inside the toilet.
Similar actions can be performed using adhesive tape. We glue the tape with tapes tightly to each other to get a dense film. We also press and release to push the plug in the pipe.
How To Clear A Blockage In The Toilet Without A Plunger And Cable
If you don’t have anything like a cable or plunger, you can always try to imitate the principle of operation of special equipment. To choose the most suitable option for you, we have collected all the possible cleaning methods using improvised means:
- “Sand weight” – the meaning of this method is to use a cloth bag to push the blockage in the toilet. To do this, you will need some sand, stones, or something heavy that you can put inside. Please note that when attaching the bag to the rope, the knot is secure. In the event that the bag is not fixed well and slips off, you will add problems to the blockage that has already formed.
- “Hanger” – the method is simple in that in almost every home there may be an ordinary wire hanger. The kind you get at the dry cleaners. Unbend and straighten the hanger, leaving the hook at one end of the hanger. This hook will help us get rid of the blockage formed in the toilet. To prevent damage to the toilet, wrap the hook tightly with a cloth. We act on the same principle, put the hanger in the toilet and gradually push the blockage to the exit.
How To Unclog Toilet When Nothing Works: Folk Methods
Whatever mechanical methods for unclogging toilets we describe in this article, most likely, many turn to the good old “folk” ones. Therefore, we decided to remind you of the most effective of them.
This method is only suitable if you do not have plastic pipes, as they can burst or be damaged during this cleaning process. In order to clean the toilet with boiling water, it is necessary to pour water from a bucket vertically into the toilet bowl. Thus, the correct pressure is formed, which will help to clear the blockage. If the water in the bowl starts to decrease, you are close to success. The procedure sometimes needs to be repeated several times.
Soda and vinegar
The principle of operation of this scheme is very similar to the use of special household chemicals. But if the blockage took you by surprise and there is simply no time to go to the store, you can resort to this one. One option suggests that you pour half a pack of soda into the toilet, then pour boiling water over it and leave it for at least half an hour. During this time, the blockage should dissolve. The second option would be a combination of baking soda and vinegar. We also pour half a pack of soda into the hole, fill it with vinegar and leave it for at least half an hour. After that, flush the toilet with cold water and leave for another couple of hours.
Also, the method of cleaning with mustard can be no less effective. If the blockage is not too strong, the mustard method is used. To do this, dilute 4-5 tablespoons of mustard in 7-8 liters of hot water. The mixture is poured into the toilet. After that, they also wait half an hour. If necessary, the procedure is recommended to be repeated 2-3 times.
For those who like not to “invent the wheel”, the option with already existing special cleaning products is perfect. All of them are quite effective and are suitable for different types of pipes. On each of these tools there is a detailed instruction manual. Be careful when choosing products for cleaning your plumbing, as products containing alkali and acid can harm. They can only aggravate the blockage and cleaning the blockage is much more difficult.
Read Articles from Editor’s Section: